The Three Minute Coffee Hour

|

When I walked out of the chapel at the end of the service, the pastor recognized me from the time I had visited a few months ago, and he shook my hand and welcomed me back. He invited me to to downstairs and stay for coffee. I said, "Sure."

Downstairs, I wandered around and looked at the bulletin board, the paintings on the wall, fidgeted, looked at the paintings on the wall some more. Small clusters of people were talking to one another and paid no attention to me. If I were more outgoing than I am, I might have tried to initiate a conversation with someone. But that's not my personality, especially when I'm a guest in a mostly unfamiliar environment. The pastor would probably have spoken with me when he got around to arriving, but I didn't feel like waiting any more awkward moments for that. After about three minutes, I went upstairs and left.

4 comments:

Jan said...

That's how I would have been, too.

Katherine E. said...

Yes, me, too.

Mystical Seeker said...

I feel better knowing that my reaction wasn't so unusual.

Unknown said...

I would have probably introduced myslef as the "Rush" chairman.