Dowd and Dawkins

|

In my previous posting, I quoted from Michael Dowd's book Thank God for Evolution! The quote includes a reference to Dawkins, which isn't the only such reference to be found in the book. Dowd is, of course, referring to Dawkins the scientist, not Dawkins the would-be debunker of religion. But I still find it a bit amusing, since Dawkins would probably hate the idea of being cited in any context in a book by a promoter of religious faith. But then again, Michael Dowd's brand of progressive Christianity, which sees science as an ally rather than as an antagonist of faith, probably doesn't fit into the paradigm that Dawkins and the other so-called New Atheists present which sees all religion as the enemy of science and reason.

7 comments:

John Shuck said...

I think Dawkins is appreciative of Dowd's work. I am really like Michael Dowd's book. For me, it is a return to love for the universe as it is, and celebrating that it is sacred.

Mystical Seeker said...

For me, it is a return to love for the universe as it is, and celebrating that it is sacred.

That's pretty high praise! I'm going through the book slowly (partly because I'm reading other things at the same time), but so far I am appreciating what he is setting out to do.

John Shuck said...

I think you and I are about the same place in the book! Later he coins (I think it is his original) a phrase, creatheism for his view of theology. I haven't read that part yet, but it is intriguing.

Unknown said...

Here is Dawkin's view of the Universe:

The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind pitiless indifference.

-- Richard Dawkins, River Out of Eden: A Darwinian View of Life (1995)

Rob said...

I am reading his book now. Perhaps not as far along as you two are.

When it comes to convincing more conservative religionists that organic evolution in the broad sense of its meaning, common descent with modification, is fact, I am all for it!

After that general point, I am a more critical reader.

Some themes resonate, some I find less convincing. A couple I find Pollyannaish and downright ridiculous, reminding me of the kind of pabulum one finds in the Course of Miracles shtick.

But I will read the rest first …

Mystical Seeker said...

Rob, I agree with you that some of what he writes is a little too pollyannaish.

Rob said...

The more I read Dowd, the more I find him simplistic, silly, and pseudo-intellectual, pseudo-spiritual, and pseudo-scientific.