Ash Wednesday

|

I didn't attend Ash Wednesday services last night.

I have to admit that Ash Wednesday doesn't really mean anything to me theologically. It seems to be mixed up with this whole notion of human sinfulness as it relates to Divine Grace. But I don't want to be reminded that I am a sinner. The emphasis on sinfulness as part of the equation in our relationship with God doesn't really speak to my spirituality. I am not interested in hearing that God loves me despite; I am much interested in the concept that God loves me just cuz.

Is God really Our Parent Who Art in Heaven? Parental love is unconditional and doesn't care a whit about some standard that the child doesn't live up to. Not that I'm saying that we all can't do better. Of course we can. I am a deeply flawed person. I just don't want to be part of a worship experience that rubs it in my face (literally and figuratively). I think God actually finds inherent value in our very being. That is much more affirming for me, than to hear about how I am such a sinner.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

0 comments: